Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Test of Patience

This morning we took our car in to the dealership for them to replace the emissions converter (the second of two that are on the car).  Earlier this month, they replaced the front emissions converter and today was to be the second.  I requested to be dropped off at the mall since it was to take about 3 hours or so.  I thought it would be perfect since we'd have access to food, a play area, and shopping for Christmas gifts.  So we wouldn't have to switch out the car seat, they dropped us off at the mall in our own car and would pick us up again in our car.  
Around noon, the dealership called to tell me that they'd finished the repairs, but when they restarted the car, the engine light was still on.  They hooked up the diagnostics machine and sure enough, something else was wrong.  This time a sensor needed to be replaced!  And of course they did not have the part.  
So the dealership, knowing that I was tired to bringing the car in so many times, offered to pay for a rental car until they could get the part in and get it installed.  They said I'd get a comparable vehicle or better.  And that they'd have the Enterprise driver go pick up Caleb's car seat before going to the mall to pick us up.  
An hour and a half went by.  No rental car.  Apparently, there had been a miscommunication and they thought someone had left to pick me up, but no one had.  Caleb and I waited at the mall entrance for twenty more minutes.  Finally the rental arrived.  It was a lovely two-door Pontiac without Caleb's car seat!  
We stayed behind until the driver could drive to Saturn for the car seat and return to pick us up.  We finally got home at about 3:15.  And thankfully Caleb is still taking a nap.  

The lesson I learned through this:  Since I was waiting...and waiting...and waiting, I had plenty of time to think about this entire situation.  My attitude could not change any of the logistics of the situation.  But my attitude of acceptance and thankfulness could impact the attitude of others.  With the help of the Holy Spirit, I chose to remain positive through it.  And I received the blessing of getting to visit with 3 sets of friends:  A mom I know from MOPS, a couple from church with a brand new baby, and a friend from my MOPS group last year (who I haven't seen since May).  There is always a bright side, you just have to look for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment