Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Beekeepers

Apparently my extended family members need a blog of their own.  Unfortunately, they all live in East Texas where the internet options are limited to dial up and the speed is slower than slow.  So, I shall blog this one for them!

While visiting my grandparents this weekend, my Uncle Doug began inspecting a swarm of bees located in a tree beside my grandparents' house.  It wasn't too large of a swarm, but apparently it was enough for them.  You see, Uncle Doug and his son Jake have taken up the hobby of Beekeeping.  They have 2 hives on their property already and drove away Sunday afternoon with a new box full of swarming bees.  According to them, when the bees are swarming, they are full and ready to produce honey (which, in my opinion, is the only conceivable reason to purposefully keep bees anywhere near where you live).

Here was the process they used for removing the bees from the tree and collecting them in their bee box (I am no expert, therefore I don't know the proper name for it).

1. Locate and Assess the Swarm of Bees

2. Prepare the Bee Box with Duct Tape
(I'm sure this is the way the pros do it)

3. Set Up Your Ladder in the Back of Your Pickup Truck
4. Back Up Until You Think You Can Reach the Bees

5. Put On Your Protective Gear

6. Spray the Bees with a 50/50 Concoction of Water and Sugar

7. Sweep the Bees Into Your Sophisticated Bee Box

They actually did a great job of getting rid of the bees for Granny and Paw Paw.  And I look forward to hearing about whether or not these bees produce any honey for them.  

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh wow. this is great. i live the suits. and of course the backing up of the ladder on the truck. so entertaining.

    ReplyDelete