Monday, August 31, 2009

Two Things You May Not Want To Know

Since this is where I document the happenings in my life, you have the priviledge of being subjected to occasional stories that only close friends and family (most of you reading fall into the category anyway!) might otherwise hear.

Today's tidbits are both breast-related, so brace yourself...

1. I have officially experienced Mastitis AKA Breast Infection.  "Mastitis is an infection of the breast tissue that causes pain, swelling and redness of the breast.  Mastitis occurs when bacteria enter your breast through a break or crack in the skin of your nipple or through the opening to the milk ducts in your nipple. Bacteria from your skin's surface and baby's mouth enter the milk duct and can multiply — leading to pain, redness and swelling of the breast as infection progresses." -Mayo Clinic website
I first experienced tenderness/mild pain during the day Friday.  I just wrote it off, until the chills and fever kicked in on Friday night.  Jadie was out fishing for the night.  I called him home at 3:30 am so he'd be able to wake up Saturday morning and help me with the kiddos in case I wasn't feeling any better.  That was a good call.  I spent most of the day in bed with fever of 102-103, an unbearable headache and general body aches.  Not cool.  We called the OB and he called in a prescription for antibiotics.  Praise God for medical knowledge, because these drugs have done glorious things for my problems.  I'm not over it yet, but feeling 80% better.
If you intend to breast-feed, I encourage you to study up on mastitis prevention, because you will want to do everything that you can to avoid this if at all possible.

2.  Although I am modest and use a nursing cover in public, I am very open in my own home when it's just our family.  With that said, I was nursing last night when Caleb came over to kiss Sarah's head.  So precious and so frequent an event!  He studied my breast and pointed to my very obvious veins asking, "Mommy, is your milk GREEN?"  That was a fun conversation.  

2 comments:

  1. Oooohhh, not fun! Glad you're feeling better. I didn't ever have problems with Addi but had several close calls while nursing Jackson. Kim Morrison recommended roasted garlic at the first sign of infection. I would roast it in the oven and spread it on a bagel...and always felt 100% by the next day. Worked every time. Maybe that'll help head off any future problems : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tricia. That may come in handy. I'll add garlic to my grocery list!

    ReplyDelete