Friday, September 21, 2007

The High Cost of Dining Out

Jadie and I have gone back and forth being good stewards of the money God has blessed us with (and Jadie has worked hard for). We take a look at our dining out expenses every once in a while, and sometimes muster the discipline to eat at home most nights and out only 1 or two times in a week. Then there are times that we eat almost every evening and weekend meal at a restaurant or fast food establishment. I think that's enough background info...

So, I got to thinking tonight about how Jadie points out the high cost of my occasional (2-5 times a month) Starbucks Frappuccino. I thought I could actually calculate the total cost of my Starbucks purchases over the last 12 months and that this would possibly shock me into narrowing my addiction to only once or twice a month...12 month period: September 21, 2006-September 21, 2007...Starbucks: $60.80

Considering the only thing I purchase at Starbucks is a drink, I'd say this is pretty steep compared to the other estrablishments totals where I order an entire meal.

What will I do with this information? Probably nothing...except be more concious of how quickly I am making companies more wealthy every time I am too lazy to cook a meal in my own home...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, we went through a starbucks phase where we spent like $40 a month! So, um, $480 a year?? Just think about what you could use $500 for...

    We noticed this pattern and have cut back considerably.

    But now my downfall is Keva Juice... with drinks about the same as Starbucks prices, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I found you! Woo-Hoo! So, I totally understant. We loooove eating out!!! We've tailored down a bit since Oren's been born...but still, it's a struggle for me to be disciplined to cook all the meals at home. Starbucks, it can be a nasty little booger. ;-)

    ReplyDelete