Tuesday, October 2, 2007

My Dad

This man has meant a lot to me over the years. He taught me how to have fun. He taught me how to give a firm handshake. He taught me to always do things right the first time. He taught me how to play forty-two. He taught me how to change the oil in my first car. The list could go on forever.
This past Thursday, September 27, 2007, he closed his eyes on this world and opened his eyes in another. I'd like to speculate at where he is now, and in fact, I believe I know where he is...but only he and the Lord know for sure.
For those who might want to know (and because typing this out might help me heal), my dad died of schematic heart failure and diabetes. In the fall of 1999, he suffered a stroke, changing his health and his life forever. Since then, things have slowly progressed until he suffered a second stroke in February of this year. Since this second stroke, he has been an obviously different person. He was also diagnosed with diabetes after this second stroke. His memory was fading which didn't help with the fact that he was supposed to be medicating himself with insulin and numerous pills several times a day. Since his last doctor's appointment less than two weeks ago, my mom had told me that he seemed more tired and less like himself than ever. I believe his body was beginning to shut down.
Jadie, Caleb, and I did see him the weekend before he died, but it was very brief. We were in Keller for a wedding and dad was doing what he loved and attending a gun show. He was asleep when we came home from the wedding, but we were able to talk with him for about 5 minutes on Sunday morning.
I feel like there is an empty place in my life. I just want to have him call me to tell me about some seemingly insignificant event from his day or to get an email from him about some new scheme that could easily be disproven by snopes.com. Those times have passed, but I can relive moments from his life in my heart and mind.
I love my dad dearly.

3 comments:

  1. Girl, I am so very sorry. I am praying for you dearly. My heart aches for you and with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about this. I love the picture... I assume that's Caleb? What a sweet memory! Cherish those good times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren,
    The picture you posted of your dad is the best picture. He looks so happy with Caleb. I am so sorry that I was not there at the funeral, I should have made the trip no matter how far it was. I will always remember your dad and keep him close to my heart. We have been best friends for so many years and even when you moved to Waco, your dad would run into me while I was working at the bank because he like to by his beer there in Southlake because of the prices were less than they were in Roanoke and he thought it was crazy to have to pay more for the same thing. When he would come in he would chat with me about what was going on and always enjoyed his chats, no matter how crazy or off the wall they were. There are so many memories growing up with you that I have of him and I truly wouldn't have been able to make it through the funeral if I had came. I really can't believe it, but know he is right where he needs to be and is no longer suffering. How sudden and unexpected it was, all of his pain that he had is gone and he living a life of luxury and no pain any longer. Let me know if you ever need anything, we are here for you no matter what. We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete