Thursday, September 24, 2009

Let The Children Come

Sometimes, I have the sweetest, most honest little boy. Sometimes not so much. Today's conversation brought me to tears, sweet tears.

I'll do my best to get this right...
Caleb: "I don't want Granddaddy to die." (My dad died 2 years ago, September 2007)
Me: "Well, me neither, Caleb. Sometimes it makes me sad."
Caleb: "I'm sad." (As tears well up in his eyes)
Me: "Sometimes it makes me sad because I miss Granddaddy, but sometimes it makes me happy because I know he's in Heaven with God."
Caleb: "Sometimes I want to go to Heaven to be with God."

I followed with telling him about how Jesus died for us, so that we may go to Heaven when we die. He quickly changed the subject, but not before restating that he sometimes wants to go be with God.

Maybe a little heavy for a three year old. Maybe not. They understand more than we know. They are honest about their feelings. And they are simple in what they know and believe.

"But Jesus called the children to him and said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.'" Luke 18:16-17

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, I'm sitting here reading this at work, tears filling my eyes and goose(god)bumps all over...yay for Calebs sweet innocent heart and praises for another mustard seed you were able to plant in him. I love your whole family and live reading and hearing the stories! Many hugs! ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete