Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Story of My 30th Birthday

Who was involved:
A lying husband :-)
Scheming friends

My birthday was Saturday, the 19th.

I had made several suggestions to Jadie about going somewhere the weekend of my birthday, but he always said, "No, we can't go that weekend."  I didn't prod...I like surprises.

On the Friday right before my birthday, Jadie asked me and the kids to join him for lunch.  It was nice.  I drove through the countryside to meet him.  I had a BLT.  Yum!

During our lunch conversation, he told me to pack an overnight bag for myself and that he'd pack one too (a lie).  He told me that our friend, Courtney, would be coming over at 7ish to watch the kids for the night (another lie).

I posted to Facebook that Jadie was taking me on an overnight getaway for my birthday.  He raked in the compliments.


I spent the afternoon straightening and cleaning the house.  You know, for the babysitter.

After Jadie got home, I made dinner for the family and proceeded to ask Jadie for some guidance on how to pack.  Do I need a swimsuit?  -No.  Will I feel awkward in the skirt I've been wearing all day?  -Maybe.  Should I change into pants?  -Sure.  What kind of PJs do I need to pack? -Nothing sexy. (I packed the fuzzy grandma socks.)  Should I put on makeup for tonight?  -Sure.

I watched as Jadie dressed himself after his shower.  That was confusing.  he put on khaki shorts and a really crappy housework type T-shirt.  Now, that made me feel excited about my upcoming getaway.

I awaited the arrival of the babysitter (scheming friend, Courtney).

When she arrived, she was shocked at the tidiness of the house.  And she knew it was pointless for me to have cleaned like a mad woman that afternoon.  Nice.

I started telling her about the kids' bedtime and a few little things about the house.

She handed me a piece of paper and said, "Well, plans have changed."  Actually plans, had not changed...Jadie had been lying.  Courtney was kidnapping me!

Here's what happened next!
First, she drove me to a secluded parking lot.

 Then she handed me Clue #2.

 Then she took me for one of my favorite refreshments!

Bahama Bucks, baby!

Then she took me to Amanda's house, where I found the culprits...

Courtney and Beth!

Amanda!

Mary!

Anne!

Happy 30th Birthday to Me!


Mary thought it would be funny to provide kumquats as part of the snack food, in honor of Baby #3 who was about he size of a kumquat at the time.  These little guys pack quite the punch...they are SOUR!
Compared to an orange.

Do you see how small that is?  Why exactly have I already started gaining weight?

1 comment:

  1. Oh we had so much fun planning! We wanted to make this a special birthday. I hope you enjoyed every moment!!! Love you dear friend!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete