Friday, April 15, 2011

Back in Time

I have been busy since the last blog post!

Saturday we spent some time at Vanessa's for our nephew's 12th birthday.  Family time and cupcakes.

Saturday evening we sold our 1998 Chevy Truck for a wad of cash.  Although we already miss the truck, recouping some of the cost of buying the minivan was worth it.  And it's less money out the door for insurance, registration, inspection, oil changes, and gasoline (which is $3.69/gal at the moment).  We are finished shuffling vehicles in and out of the driveway, too.  That's been annoying.

Sunday morning we fulfilled our quarterly childcare duties during the church service.  I got to hold babies, change diapers, calm screaming, and make a certain little baby laugh his little head off.  That made it mroe enjoyable.

Sunday afternoon, the kids and I drove to Keller to spend some time with mom.  We enjoyed some down time and homemade spaghetti.

Monday morning, we did some light shopping and had lunch at Chick-fil-A.  I found some dish towels at World Market to make a few of these tote bags...Dish Towel Tote.

Monday evening, we ate dinner at a locally owned Mexican restaurant named Kassandra's.  It was yummy.  Mom and I shared an appetizer plate of nachos, taquitos, and quesadillas.  Caleb had the kid's quesadilla and Sarah had a big bowl of refried beans (and several bites of our quesadillas).

Tuesday morning we headed for Dallas, the source of our title today.  I requested that mom take me on a little trip back to the neighborhood where we spent most of my childhood.

We drove by:
Our old house in Dallas
Harry Stone Park
The building previously known as Happiness House (the day care/school where I attended from 18 months - 3rd grade)

The Dairy-ette
Kiest Elementary

My best friend Jana's house (I believe her parents still live there)
Casa View Library (which was empty)
The Mexicali Cafe (no longer in business)
The skating rink where I tried to impress a certain boy in 5th and 6th grade
Mom's childhood home
MawMaw's old house
Nanny's old house
Town East Mall

Overall, I was surprised at how well maintained the area was, how peaceful it was, and how much things had stayed the same.  Keep in mind, we were driving around during school hours, so there weren't any teenage hooligans running around.

Some things I want to note:
Happiness House--Although the school was no longer called Happiness House, it was still a daycare.  I asked mom to drive down the alley next to the playground, and things back there was just as I remember them.  The building next door was part of the school when I attended, but was up for sale, leading me to believe that it was no longer owned by the daycare.
Our old house--It was fun to be able to name everyone who lived in the surrounding houses.  I was surprised at what I remembered.  Most of our neighbors were retired when I was a child, and have since died.  I could almost see them as we drove by their houses.
Jana's old house--I knocked on the door to see if either of her parents were home.  No one answered.  I wonder if they are both still teaching...
Harry Stone Park--It still seemed to be running in much the same way it had been when I was a child.  The layout inside was the same.  Some men were playing basketball in the gym.  Some seniors were attending a painting class.  There were posters up advertising other classes, like Zumba.  There were a few people walking on treadmills and there was a weight room.  The outdoor pool was well kept and clean.  The park was updated and there were children playing.  The tennis courts were well maintained, but empty.  Dallas spoiled me.  There isn't a place like that around here that I know of.
The Dairy-ette--The food was still delicious, but they only accept cash.  Are you kidding me?
Kiest Elementary--Was much the same, but with more portable buildings.  Driving past the recess area brought back memories.  We played out there every day after lunch.  We had school carnivals out there.  Good memories.

So, I will bring this to an abrupt end.  I just wanted to dump all of that out there.

3 comments:

  1. Wow what a neat experience you had!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never thought to go into the school and park.. I will always remember,
    with a smile ... our sleep overs where we would play jokes on your sister while she slept ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will always remember your laugh!

    I thought about driving past your house, but it would have been just that. Driving past your house. I don't think I would have recognized it :-(

    ReplyDelete