Thursday, September 15, 2011

Technology Tickets

So, I saw this idea somewhere...probably through Pinterest, considering it's my new addiction.  I cannot find the source now, but here is the scoop.

I printed these tickets meant for DIY lottery scratch-offs.  I wrote "30 minutes" on each one.  I laminated them at Mardel.  I made holders for them by cutting, then folding scrapbook paper in half and stapling up the sides.  Then I used painter's tape to mount the holders. Done.

I wanted Caleb to be more aware of his TV/Wii/Computer time, so I printed out tickets worth 30 minutes each.

On Monday after school, he will receive 10 tickets (5 hours) for the week.  He keeps his tickets inside the cabinet of the entertainment center.

I keep his spent tickets on the wall behind the TV.

To use his tickets, he hands one to me and I start a 30 minute timer.  He knows to turn off whatever he's doing when he hears the timer or that he has to give me another ticket.

I have set a 3 ticket maximum for any given day and I reserve the right to refuse technology time for the day.  This might be due to other activities, behavior at home, or behavior at school.

So far, I love how it's working out.  He's much more aware of the amount of time he's watching TV and I haven't heard any whining when it's time to pull the plug.

But then again this is only the 3rd day.  We'll see how long this works so beautifully.

I may consider giving 12 tickets on Monday instead of just 10.  Also perhaps extra tickets for rewards.

1 comment: