Friday, September 9, 2011

Sarah Talk + Yesterday's To-Do List

We're back home from taking Caleb to school this morning and I have a few fun things to share with you.
_________________________________________
Sarah is saying sentences!
She frequents the phrase "I can..." (insert jump, do it, brush teeth, hold it, get it, eat it, etc)
Here are a few of the sentences I've heard in just the last few minutes:
Take shoes off now.
I am cold.
Cover up.
Help, Mommy.
Dark in here.
Get silky. (her blanket)
Need pillow.
_________________________________________
Caleb was at a loss this morning when he couldn't find the cars he picked out to take in the car on the two-minute drive to school.  I found them shortly thereafter.  Can you guess how they ended up in there?

_________________________________________
I finished the fall mantel yesterday.  It was one of the three things I accomplished from yesterday's to-do list.
I only see a few similarities between it and my inspiration photo, but I love my version just the same.
It cost me nothing.  That is always a beautiful thing.

  • I cut branches from our crape myrtle and stripped them of their leaves.
  • I used fabric and paper I already had for the large frame.
  • I printed pictures onto regular printer paper and taped them to the front of the frames.
  • The white pumpkin (it was maroon, but I spray painted it white), leaves, and votive holders are from last year.
  • The leafy battery operated candle that you can barely see of the far end is a purchase from last winter when it was marked down from $16.95 to $2.18 at Pier One Imports.  Score.

_________________________________________
I made the laundry soap using the recipe from Great Oak Circle.

6 cups Borax
4 cups Baking Soda
4 cups Washing Soda
4 cups Fels-Naptha bar soap (about 2 bars)

It made about 3 1/2 mason jars of detergent when all was said and done.
Two Fels-Naptha bars did NOT yield 4 cups after being finely grated in the food processor.  It was more like 3 cups.

The Fels-Naptha looked like cheddar cheese after the initial grating!

Remember that you only use 2 Tbsp for each load of laundry, so this should last quite a while.

Also, I thought you might like a price break down in case you're considering doing it yourself.  
All of my items were purchased at Wal-Mart without coupons or sales.  Every item was found on the laundry ailse.
2 Fels-Naptha Bars @ $0.97 each

Arm & Hammer Laundry Powder @ $3.24
Borax @ $2.98
Large Box of Baking Soda @ $2.12
TOTAL was $10.28 before tax

I also purchased Main-Stays brand Mason Jars @ $7.88/dozen
_________________________________________
Later, taters!

No comments:

Post a Comment