Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Nanna's Clock

I ran across this scrap of paper recently.

I wrote this down as I walked through my grandmother's house after her funeral.  The stove was the first thing I looked at when I walked through the door.  Nanna was always cooking up something delicious.  I pictured her standing at that stove, boiling potatoes or cooking up some Velveeta Shells & Cheese.

As I stood there, the clock on the stove caught my eye.  I can't remember if it was a digital or analog clock, but that's not really important.  I just remember being caught off guard by the time displayed on the clock.

3:16.

The clock was no longer ticking.  It had stopped keeping time, just like Nanna.  I was taken aback by the grace of God.  As far as I remember, my Nanna was a believer.  A feeling of excitement came over me.  This small, insignificant detail brought had me joy and peace.

And it still does today.

No comments:

Post a Comment