Monday, February 4, 2008

Family, Fan, Fried Chicken, Friends and Football

I bet you're thinking that this alliterative title is suggesting a Super Bowl Party with family and friends who are avid fans of a either the Giants or the Patriots that played in the incredible game yesterday...complete with Fried Chicken to munch on. Nice try, but you are "the weakest link" in this guessing game.

This alliterative title actually holds the clues to 5 different events from this weekend...
1. Family--Jadie, Caleb and I went to visit my mom this weekend in Keller. We enjoyed a leisurely time of hanging out at the house until Saturday afternoon.

2. Fan--During our time at mom's house, we (Jadie mostly) installed a ceiling fan in mom's bedroom. Since I graduated high school, only the fan has been working, but the light part would not come on. For mom's birthday this past November, Kristin, Jadie and I went in together to buy her a new ceiling fan with lights. It may have taken 3 months, but the results are worth the wait.

Yes, that is a genuine portrait of Lauren and Kristin Ray, circa 1990.

3. Fried Chicken--A little background is needed for this one. There is a much-talked-about fried chicken house in Roanoke (it's the next town north of Keller) called Babe's. We must be from Texas because the night of our wedding, after the I-dos, we drove to Roanoke to have dinner at this Fried Chicken House. How romantic. As I mentioned before, it is popular and was very crowded that night, with people filling the 20+ chairs outside the front door and many more people standing around waiting outside. So, we opted to pass that night. Not only has Jadie been tempted over the years by my enthusiastic recommendation for Babe's, but over the past 6 years he has also heard other people comment on how tasty this place's food is. For example, our financial advisor lives in Watauga (it's the next town south of Keller), which led to a conversation about the area including her strong, mouth-watering recommendation for Babe's. Another time, Jadie was talking to a guy from work who lives in Waxahachie. This guy said Babe's was so good he'd walk from Waxahachie just to eat there. So, all of that to say that Jadie suggested Babe's for late-lunch on Saturday. We got there at about 2:45, perfect timing to avoid the crowd. Pretty tasty indeed!


4. Friends--Our second motive (along with installing the ceiling fan for mom) was to attend a birthday party for Aaron, the son of my best friend from high school (Nicole). Get excited about me making you feel more human! Apparently, I had it in my head that the party was Sunday afternoon at 1pm. Jadie and I had even planned to arrive early to help set up and get in some extra visiting time. I talked to Nicole Saturday afternoon when she called to give me her new cell phone number and to tell me that she missed us at the birthday party! Wait, back up...we MISSED the party?!? I double checked my planner and the invitation, and sure enough, both said the party was on Saturday. Seriously, this kind of brain lapse can even happen to me. So we kept our date for Sunday (which was supposed to be Saturday) and went to lunch with Nicole, DJ, and Aaron, then went back to their house to visit. 5. Football--We did attend a Super Bowl Party at the Classens with some friends from church. As usual, I could care less about the game, but I wanted to be around friends instead of at home without a husband to talk to (because he'd be into the game). Favorite commercial: definitely the E*Trade baby. Runner-up: Justin Timberlake in the Pepsi commercial. Which was your favorite?

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Babes. We have a Babe's in Granbury and it IS quite tastey indeed. Next time you have a hankerin' for some chicken, come visit us and we can go to downtown Granbury for the best ever!

    ReplyDelete