Monday, January 26, 2009

Snail Mail Has Its Downside

Dog gone snail mail!  
I am almost always great about writing the checks for our bills as soon as I receive them and mailing them off within a few days.  Apparently I neglected to send off a credit card bill until only 5 days before it was due.  I put my faith in the speed of snail mail and it came back to bite me!  
It took 8 days for that bill to post, which made us 3 days late!  We have NEVER been late on ANY payment, EVER!  Our lovely late fee?  $35, with an atrocious 303% interest rate on that fee.  Of course, that meant that when they determined this month's bill 3 days later, they added the accumulated interest on top of the $35.  
We did call to try to get the fees waived considering our past credit history with this particular company over the past 5 years.  They did concede and offer to reduce our late fee to $17.50, but I still feel wronged.  
It annoys me that I could mail off a bill 5 days before the due date and still incur late fees OR I could send a payment online with 1 day to spare and be just fine. I'll be mailing my next bill with at least 10 days to spare!

1 comment:

  1. I think you are wronged because it should go by the post date, not when they rec'd it. For real! I sometimes have mailed bills off the day before and they're not late because of the post date.

    ReplyDelete