Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Takes Me Back

You know how food can take you back?  I made one of my childhood favorites for dinner last night.  I knew it called for Velveeta and Rotel, so I had not even attempted it for our family since Jadie doesn't like cheese.  
I tackled it for the first time last night.  I made it without the cheese and tomatoes, poured out half for Jadie and then added the cheese and tomatoes for myself!  Jadie said his half was "not bad," which is not my desired response.  However, I have asked him to decode that phrase in the past and he says it means it's good.  A success, I suppose.

Here's the recipe (from my mom):
Chicken Spaghetti
  • 4 boneless chicken breasts, cooked (I used a whole cut up chicken to save a little money/ breasts are more expensive)
  • 1 8 oz pkg spaghetti, cooked
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (I have to do this extremely fine so that Jadie doesn't notice the onion)
  • 1/2 stick margarine/butter
  • 3 Tablespoons flour
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • garlic powder, salt, pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cubed Velveeta cheese
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese
  1. In a LARGE skillet or deep pot, cook onion in margarine/butter.
  2. When tender, add flour and brown lightly.
  3. Add broth and both cans of soup.
  4. Add seasonings and Velveeta cheese.  Stir until cheese is melted.
  5. Add diced chicken and tomatoes.  Simmer.
  6. Pour over cooked spaghetti and top with grated cheddar cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment