Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Stockings Were Hung By The Chimney With Care

With lots of care!

I made us a set of matching stockings!  Yes, we all had stockings already, but I wanted them to match :-)

I bought the red felt for $2.25  and the white fleece for about $2.00 at Hobby Lobby.  I had the ribbon, black fabric, and, of course, the thread.


To make these:
I traced an old stocking onto the red felt.  I did the front 4 times and the back 4 times.  Yes, this was necessary because the felt is glittered on one side.

I cut 8 rectangles from the fleece, 9" x 6".


Then I hemmed them along the bottom edge with a 1/2" hem.
Note: Fleece is stretchy = ANNOYING.


I ironed interfacing to the black fabric before tracing and cutting letters from it.  By the way, I just enlarged capital letters in a Word document and printed it so I would have  letter forms to go by.  I sewed the black letters to the white fleece.


I aligned the white fleece at the top of each stocking, right sides facing.  I stitched across the top only.  Then I flipped the white fleece over the top of each stocking, making a nice finished edge.

Then I stopped taking pictures.  Oops!

Then I cut 4 pieces of ribbon, folded them, and stitched them to the top right of the stocking fronts.

Then I aligned the stocking fronts and backs, right sides facing.  I pinned them and stitched around the edges.  I tried my best to align the bottom of the white fleece pieces, but they didn't turn out perfect.  No biggie.

Finally, I turned the stockings right side out and, Viola!  4 crisp, clean, simple red and white stockings, with "monograms" for each person in our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment