Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Dining Room Process

We have disliked the dining room chair rail job in our house since we moved in almost 4 years ago.  I recently decided to do something about it.  Here's the progress so far.

BEFORE
Notice the beautiful brown globs of glue peeking out from behind the moulding.

Next, notice the chunks of drywall that were removed with the glue.  We used acetone to try to release the grip of the glue.  It worked better in some places than others.

After that, we used joint compound to fill in the chunks of missing drywall.  We smoothed things out with a putty knife.

After this step, we used a spray can of Knockdown texture to recreate the look of the original wall texture.  I didn't take a picture of that.  

Next, I primed the newly textured area where the chair rail used to reside and also primed over the incredibly dark navy blue on the bottom half of the wall.  It took three coats to cover up the navy!  I tried to take a picture just now, but it's pretty hard to get a picture of a plain white wall.  That's all it is right now, just plain white primer.

Today, I shall paint the wall from floor to ceiling in our new color selection, Bonjour Beige by Glidden.  I'll post a picture when I get that all done!

No comments:

Post a Comment