Thursday, July 16, 2009

Caleb's First ER Visit

...and it was a complete waste of time and an ER copay.

Literally 2 minutes before I was going to get Caleb ready for bed on Tuesday night, he decided to stand up on the couch...and then he face planted into the glass-covered coffee table.  

I was home alone (Jadie had  gone to the driving range) and I immediately entered a state of shock.  I wasn't paralyzed; you should have seen me scoop him up and carry him to the bathroom to inspect his head for glass.  There were tiny slivers in a small cut above his right eyebrow.  I wasn't sure how I should get them out...try to use tweezers?  Try to use a washcloth?  Try to run water over the cut?  As I tried to decide, I had my brightest idea yet.  Call Jadie.  That's when I lost it.  The tears came and the rational train of thought was gone.

Jadie and I met up at the hospital and tried to decide whether or not this injury merited waiting 3-4 hours in the ER.  We decided to go ahead since we were also concerned about the fact that he hit his head hard enough to shatter the glass.  The waiting room wait wasn't so bad...only about an hour and a half.  But the waiting time in the patient room was about two hours.  

Come to find out, he had none of the signs of head trauma (vomiting, drowsiness, inability to make sense, amnesia about the event, slurred speech, etc.) and we were annoyed to watch the nurse wipe away the tiny slivers of glass.  We could have done that ourselves!  I do take comfort in knowing that we took every precaution and that we probably wouldn't have known to wake him up to check him during the night, but it was a frustrating evening nonetheless.

Here's Caleb's $75 Band-aid and the broken glass from coffee table:


5 comments:

  1. I'm glad Caleb is ok. Sorry about the waste, but it is best to have him checked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Caleb is okay, but MAN that is one expensive Band-aid!!-Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. ER visits are no fun! So sorry you guys had to do that but I'm super glad he's okay. We've only had one ER visit with Jackson and we ended up leaving before they treated him...he had a super low fever one night after being sick for a couple of days but it regulated itself after 2 hours in the waiting room. Whew!

    Hope that's your last visit! It does look like a very nice band-aid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad he is okay! I would have been in the ER too, just to be sure.

    ReplyDelete