Friday, January 7, 2011

Crafting with Caleb: Snowflakes on the Stove

I try to give credit where credit is due, so here's where I found this wonderful idea.  Roots and Wings Co. has lots of other fun ideas, too!  Check them out when you get the chance.

And here is the process as we created our melted crayon snowflakes!
I started out folding the snowflakes and drawing the parts I wanted Caleb to cut out.  He got frustrated when his cuts were imperfect and I was happy to oblige when he asked me to do the cutting!  Although I did  not use coffee filters (regular paper for me), I found this step by step photo tutorial helpful when it came to getting creative with my designs.

This is my favorite snowflake!

Our multi-colored snowflakes...I later decided I liked them better in a single color.

I lined a frying pan with foil.  The bigger the pan, the better.  Some of my snowflakes were too big for my pan and we had to do some shifting to color the entire thing.

Proof that Caleb did help with this project.  It's true that I did most of it, but Caleb did enjoy coloring the first 4 or 5 snowflakes with me.

Laying out on waxed paper for the melted crayon wax to harden.

One in the pan...



I decided to tape them to the front glass door to display them...

A close up on the front door...

I recommend this project for kids 5 and up.  The main thing is that your child understands not to touch the pan or foil.  We used a tall chair for Caleb to stand on so that he was coloring from above the pan, making it easier for him to avoid touching the hot pan or burner.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your snowflakes themselves are so gorgeous! I'm glad you tried this. We do it every Winter, now!

    Rebecca@RootsAndWingsCo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I just found it--so glad! Great seeing you on Tues.!

    ReplyDelete